For those of you who are learning of our decision to adopt for the first time may be wondering what has led us to this decision. Here is a condensed version of the past 2 years of our journey to our family...
First, Travis and I giddily started trying to get pregnant. Thinking of baby names, discussing the nursery, who he or she would look like, you know, all of the things hopeful parents to be think of...ok, so maybe that was just ME thinking of all of those things, but Travis was just as excited as I was to be starting our family. After all, its easy to get pregnant so it will happen soon, right?
After 6 months, I decided something wasn't right with my body and it just wasn't happening. I saw a local doctor who told me nothing was wrong and that we would be pregnant within the next 6 months if we just kept trying. To help things along, she put me on a fertility drug to help boost ovulation to hopefully get us pregnant faster. Another 4 months go by and we still aren't pregnant. We decide to see a fertility specialist who ran all kinds of tests, and also determines that there is nothing wrong with either of us. We were told once again, that we will eventually get pregnant.
After 1 year of trying on our own and another year of infertility testing and treatment, including in vitro fertilization, we still are not pregnant. I will spare you the gory details, but lets just say the side effects left a lot to be desired.
Throughout the fertility treatments, adoption has always been a part of our discussions in deciding "what next?" We have decided that our main goal is to have a child to love and adoption is an exciting option for us.
I hope this explains a little of the journey we have gone through so far. I know that adoption is a hard thing for some people to understand or to grasp, but we know that this is God's plan for us. We know we are young and in the big scheme of things, we haven't been trying for that long. But, we are ready to have a family and we feel that God has led us to adoption.
We can't wait to meet the child who is the reason for all of this...We know it will be well worth the wait.
"For I know the plans I have for you, declares the Lord. They are plans for peace and not disaster, plans to give you a future full of hope"--Jeremiah 29:11
Wishing you all the best on your journey towards adoption!
ReplyDeleteI'm so happy and blessed to be able to share in your journey through this blog. You guys are a beautiful couple and I know you will be amazing parents! Praying for each step that you guys are taking in building your family and praying for that precious baby that you will be holding in your arms!
ReplyDeleteWe are so excited for you guys on your new journey. You both are amazing people and will be awesome parents. We are here if you need anything at all...don't hesitate! Looking forward to sharing this journey with you. Love you!
ReplyDeletePs 18:30 is always a verse that comforts me during times of transition: "As for God His way is perfect, His word is proven, He is a shield to those who trust Him." May you trust God through this journey and know that His way is perfect.
ReplyDeleteI can't wait to meet the amazing person God is going to bring into your family. We are looking forward to meeting our new cousin! Praying you experience God's peace as you wait for your new child! You will be awesome parents!